Subject: Re: rc*.conf [Re: more work in rc.d ]
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/29/2000 01:52:18
On Aug 15,  7:31am, Michael Richardson wrote:
} >>>>> "John" == John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca> writes:
} J> On Aug 4,  1:11pm, Michael Richardson wrote:
} J> } >>>>> "John" == John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca> writes:
} J> } J> On Jun 29, 10:53am, "Simon J. Gerraty" wrote:
} J> } J> }
} J> } J> } Oh and yes rc*.conf should die.
} J> }
} J> } J>      I totally disagree.  I like rc.conf.  It keeps as much information
} J> } J> in one place as possible, which makes administration really easy and
} J> } J> pain free.  It's also more in tune with the BSD way of doing things.
} J> }
} J> }   A lot of converts from that Penguin place really, really like rc.conf.
}
} J>      Is this aimed at me, or just a general comment?  As for myself, I
} J> was born and raised on BSD, I get paid to play in both the BSD and
}
}   It was meant as a supporting comment on your comment.
}   Penguin people see rc.conf and say... gee, that's a lot easier than what we do.

     I don't blame them.  Penguin boxes are the worst things I've ever
had the displeasure of using (and I've used just about every version of
UNIX).  The method of administrating them can vary greatly with the
distribution.  Also, one of the most popular distribution is a
basterised combination of BSD and SysV with some of the worst scripts
I've ever seen.  Modifying the startup on it, isn't fun at all.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael Richardson