Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/28/2000 00:19:57
On Jul 5, 12:09am, Greg A. Woods wrote:
}
} I can guarantee to you that not all of the users using NetBSD want to be
} system administrators and more importantly not all of them should have
} to be restricted to working in environments where system administrators
} are available to support them.

     All servers, regardless of the OS, should be installed and
maintained by qualified system administrators.  To do so otherwise with
production servers is extremely foolish and could be far more costly in
the long run in terms of downtime.  I will grant you that there are
many sites that are too small to have full-time sysadmins; but, that is
why there are contractors.  A qualified sysadmin should install,
configure, and perform all high level administration tasks (low level
tasks such as changing tapes, creating and deleting accounts, etc.
could be performed by somebody on-site).

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods