Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/27/2000 00:46:47
><sarcasm>
>Face it, it's "easier" to type
>	# sh /etc/init.d/foobard restart

>than it is to type
>	# ps axc | grep foobard | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill

>isn't it?

Exactly, especially in the dark.

No need for sarcasm.  I stopped being excited about
working 24hrs many years ago.  If when the poor junior bunny stuck
with that role rings up out of hours, I'd _much_ prefer to be able
to give him a one line answer than a tutorial.  He can learn it
on his own time.

Not talking about yourself, but several folk in this thread
have thrown around claims of what is and is not real life sysadmin.
Commercial reality is that too many sites have fewer and fewer
properly qualified sysadmins and the "bums on seats" mentality
is here. Declaim it all you like (collective you not anyone in
particular), it won't go away.  Some suggest that M$ have something
to do with this - when the only solution to any problem is re-install
from CD, you don't need anyone with much skill.

So yes, I find reducing or eliminating the complexity of mundane tasks
a worthy goal.  I spent most of the 90's doing that (among other things)
for a company with far more users and computers than competent sysadmins.

--sjg