Subject: Re: rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/2000 16:02:22
[ On Sunday, March 19, 2000 at 10:48:44 (-0800), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rc.d
>
> Someone (Frank?  Greg?  Whom?) seemed to want to issue a statement about
> "Oh, those details [in rc.subr], you don't need to concern yourself with
> them."
>
> I would like to see an amendment or retraction of that statement.  It's
> not up to the vendor (in this case, NetBSD) to decide what needs to be
> or doesn't need to be seen.  We're mostly technical types here (I hope!),
> so please don't try to close a gaping chest wound with a styptic pencil.

I said that it was now no longer important to know the inner workings of
rc.subr, rcorder, et al, for the average person who only needs to tweak
one or two subsystems, and indeed it isn't.

I don't speak for NetBSD.

I also pointed out the obvious and said that if you do want to learn
about the innards then you're more than welcome to do so.

--
							Greg A. Woods