Subject: Re: rc.d
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/2000 10:48:44
On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

# On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 02:23:26AM -0800, Todd Whitesel wrote:
# > I think you'd be better off focusing on getting a formal statement like:
# > "Yes, we realize that there are dissenting opinions, however we have decided
# > that it is in the best interests of the Project to forge ahread and make the
# > best of this." Actually I would like to see this too. The distinct lack of
# > one bothers me, as if giving any sort of ground whatsoever would open the
# > doors to reversing the decision.
#
# See my previous mail.. you can consider that to be such a statement.

Someone (Frank?  Greg?  Whom?) seemed to want to issue a statement about
"Oh, those details [in rc.subr], you don't need to concern yourself with
them."

I would like to see an amendment or retraction of that statement.  It's
not up to the vendor (in this case, NetBSD) to decide what needs to be
or doesn't need to be seen.  We're mostly technical types here (I hope!),
so please don't try to close a gaping chest wound with a styptic pencil.

# Some people have said that the way it was (not) announced wasn't good.
# I do understand that reaction. The intention was to bring it into the
# tree and work out some remaining issues with input from this list,
# but in hindsight a clearer announcement and the availabilty of docs
# and examples right from the start would have been better. Live and
# learn, I guess.

Thank you.  It's appreciated!

# - Frank

				--*greywolf;