Subject: Re: rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/2000 03:29:34
> I think the "stealth" would not have been necessary if the previous
> debates had not always ended up as religious wars.  Convincing the
> other guy that you will never yield, no matter what, is not exactly
> the best way to get your own way, when everyone else is a volunteer
> just like yourself.

Indeed, it appears that the correct way to get your way is to just go
ahead and commit it, disagreements be damned.

Ramming your idea of the right way down everyone's throat is not
exactly an ideal way to make converts either.

As I remarked recently in private mail, I'm not even sure that rc.d
itself is necessarily that bad; I don't expect it to be pleasant, but I
might have been willing to try it and see.  But when NetBSD evidences
this much willingness to ditch what I used to think it stood for and
lunge precipitously in the direction of supporting the masses at the
expense of the niche they used to satisfy so well, I have no reason to
think it will stop here.  Indeed, I fully expect it to continue until
it's just another point-and-drool free unix variant, distinguished from
FreeBSD largely by the hardware it supports, and Linux by that and the
GPL.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca