Subject: Re: rc.d
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2000 23:51:06
> Personally, I am hoping that major howls will be heard promptly after
> the first release that includes this stuff.
>
> I don't really expect that to happen.

Well: if there isn't a good transition tutorial, and a 'misc' script that
I can dump stuff into until I learn how to do things with the new system,
then you can be sure I am going to howl real loud until that is fixed. I
just need a crutch to lean on while I get my bearings, but other than that
I have no problems with giving the new system a chance.

FWIW Mouse, I agree 100% with your philosophy that you gave when explaining
why you prefer monolithic scripts.

However, I do not agree that rc.d efforts are all fundamentally doomed. I
really would like to see one succeed. I still have faith that rc.d _can_
be done right, and if anybody can manage it, I figure the NetBSD guys can.

I think the "stealth" would not have been necessary if the previous debates
had not always ended up as religious wars. Convincing the other guy that you
will never yield, no matter what, is not exactly the best way to get your
own way, when everyone else is a volunteer just like yourself.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com