Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2000 22:18:22
> I don't really like things that just "go" -- there are already examples
> of this in the Linux world where various services are enabled on a stock
> system, without the user really knowing about them (or needing them).
> IMHO it would be better if daemons do not run automatically, but rather
> require the system administrator to enable them.

Yeah, that's a problem with a command line interface whose main operation
is "add".

A good feature request for pkgsrc would be to allow different install modes,
like "beginner" vs. "expert" ... I think we need both. End users (and me
when I'm experimenting on a scratch machine) really appreciate having a
mode that just makes a package work; but of course for any mission critical
machine, it is better to have the installer simply populate and leave the
actual enabling to us.

This is one place where an 'inactive' state for rc.d scripts would be ideal;
after installation, you'd do an ``ls -lrt'' in rc.d to see what new services
are available, and decide which ones to enable.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com