Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.conf
To: Scott Aaron Bamford <sab@zeekuschrist.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/2000 15:58:06
On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:35:38AM +0000, Scott Aaron Bamford wrote:

> Is there no way these two could co-exist? I'm believeing a
> process_rc.d=YES like option in rc.conf could swtich on /etc/rc.d
> processing, while setting it to NO could make the real /etc/rc script
> process it all (using a simple if checkyesno(process_rc.d) else ... fi
> mehtod) would please both people.

There's a problem with that. If you allow an "official" knob to switch
off rc.d processing to exist, this will make things a bit too unpredictable
for 3rd party script handling.

Suppose I'm a software writer, and want to support NetBSD. My software
needs some things started on startup. I have a script that I already
may have written for Solaris, or whatever, and am thinking of
adapting it to NetBSD. However, I have now no idea how to
deploy this under NetBSD, since I could either drop it into rc.local.d,
or have to instruct the adminstrator to add some lines to /etc/rc.local
to call it, depending on how this switch is set.

Also, for example, in a "trouble shooting" section in the documentation,
I might have to explain 2 ways of restarting my software just for one
system. This is a pain.

That's not a good situation.. it's fine to not be too rigorous
about enforcing some scheme, but it should be clear that it is
then up to the local system administrator to maintain the
other, locally preferred scheme.

- Frank