Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d stuff
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/2000 01:46:51
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 08:03:19PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> > BSD is about well-though out and designed subsystems - and that's
> > what Luke's [stuff] is.
>
> But for the wrong problems.  It's attempting to solve problems arising
> from a desire to do mechanical boot script maintenance, apparently
> without caring about the problems it introduces for human boot script
> maintenance.

I'm glad to do things mechanically, rather than needing to think
about them.  I like being able to think strictly in terms of, "does
this host need to run sshd?" (for example), rather than, "how can I
modify this rc.local file, but still keep it in synch (except for not
running sshd) with this other one I use on a very similar host?". And
all I need is some understanding of the dependancies between these
scripts, and an understanding of the scripts themselves.

What does monolithic rc buy you that 'cat `rcorder /etc/rc.d/*`'
doesn't?

--aidan