Subject: Re: rc.d config file proposal
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/2000 00:58:14
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 08:06:37PM +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> 2) Have /etc/rc.pkg.d, /etc/rc.local.d, and their counterparts,
>    /etc/rc.pkg.conf.d and /etc/rc.local.conf.d (or other names,
>    but they're seperate directories somewhere in /etc). In
>    rc.subr, do something like:
>
> 	. /etc/rc.$confbase.conf
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can this be just
. /etc/rc.conf
where /etc/rc.conf contains as its last two lines
. /etc/rc.pkg.conf (is this necessary?)
. /etc/rc.local.conf
?  Where I used to work, it was very useful to us to be able to say
things like ifconfig_fxp0="inet_addr" from rc.local.conf.  This may
be less of an issue if we could use /etc/rc.conf.d/network.conf
to configure the network, but why not have all the variables
accessible to every start/stop script?

--aidan