Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d stuff
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/15/2000 22:28:52
[Repressing my preference my a monolithic /etc/rc and my traumas
 from having used commercial Unicen. Hopefully this will be more
 than a flame.]

The big general problem I and others have with non-monolithic is
the lack of transparency, which is bad bad voodoo when you have
to keep systems running out in the trenches. The biggest problem
with the current code is run_rc_command, which should just die.
Having shared code in rc.subr is nice, but let's do it in the
form of more leaf-like helper functions instead.

[Sorry] And can we please, please call it something other than rc.d?
rc.d suggests properties that it neither has nor should have.
Since one of the nicest things about rc.d is the start/stop/restart
methods, let's give that interface some light by creating a command
called something like service(8) (perhaps as simple as a shell script
that runs rc.d/foo) with the services located in /etc/services .

Regarding rc.conf, I think someone suggested reading both rc.conf
and a "foo.conf". I think this is quite a reasonable compromise
and it will likely also be useful to the people who argued for a
FreeBSD-style /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

Ahh, felt good. I am already starting to like it better :-)

--
Soren