Subject: Re: rc.d
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/15/2000 01:39:27
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 01:05:54AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> So, and at what examples do i look for that? Sure not the ones in
> /etc/rc.d. When I looked at sshd, this scared me off.

I don't know about sshd; it wasn't supposed to be there and has
been removed. The other ones look simple to me, though.

> What was the reason for inventing all this? Was there really such a
> strong reason for hiding things behind these macros?

If you have a bunch of scripts that will have a large subset of common
code, then you will want to factor out that common code. This does
not seem unreasonable.

I think you're concentrating too much on rc.subr, which is a part
of rc.d that you do not need to see. I think it's better to let
Luke provide the documentation, and then you can see if it's
really that hard to learn.

- Frank