Subject: Re: rc.d
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/15/2000 01:05:54
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> Just try dropping in a script without using rc.subr. It should work.

So, and at what examples do i look for that? Sure not the ones in
/etc/rc.d. When I looked at sshd, this scared me off.

Looking at what Solaris uses, I can produce something working from that.
Looking at what NetBSD uses, I cannot because I'd need to understand all
the magic first. Someone not familiar with all this (or: someone who
"just" knows "unix" and didn't read our docs) will have a fun time.

What was the reason for inventing all this? Was there really such a
strong reason for hiding things behind these macros?

Really, I'd have expected that we break things up in one step, and if the
need arises, we use more magic. Just telling people "but you don't have to
use it" is not enough at this step.

 - Hubert

--
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"