Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2000 21:36:52
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:08:32AM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> b) Add support for /etc/rc.local.d, and ensure that that directory
>    is created during installation.
>    This is for local scripts.
>
> c) Add support for /etc/rc.pkg.d, and ensure that that directory
>    is created during installation.
>    This is for packages. After a package installation a user should
>    copy the script from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ to /etc/rc.pkg.d
>    to enable the startup.

I prefer the proposal of /etc/rc.d/foo.local and /etc/rc.d/bar.pkg
Minimize the number or directories please :)
Note that one thing doesn't prevent the other as long as don't install the
startup script themselve and we make sure system startup stripts will not
end by .local or .pkg.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>