Subject: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2000 09:08:32
Aidan Cully writes:
> I hope this isn't too controversial...  We've got rc.local.conf,
> monthly.local, &c., why not rc.d.local?

As someone else mentioned, rc.local.d is more consistent.

I'm going to make the following changes:

a) Rename the dummy placeholder scripts daemon, login and servers
   to DAEMON, LOGIN and SERVERS (respectively). This makes it far
   more obvious that they're placeholder nodes to depend other
   nodes from. E.g, you can have a local script that depends upon
   LOGIN.

b) Add support for /etc/rc.local.d, and ensure that that directory
   is created during installation.
   This is for local scripts.

c) Add support for /etc/rc.pkg.d, and ensure that that directory
   is created during installation.
   This is for packages. After a package installation a user should
   copy the script from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ to /etc/rc.pkg.d
   to enable the startup.

   Some people have commented that we should use /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.
   There are problems with this:

	* /usr may not be mounted by the time rcorder is run.

	* That directory has already being used for scripts, and
	  they're not using the same conventions that the new
	  rc.d stuff uses (e.g, don't support `stop', will cause
	  problems because the `.sh' filename suffix means the
	  script is sourced into the current environment not a
	  child, thus potentially causing lossage, etc).

d) Complete and commit the documentation for this project.

e) Announce it.

Luke.