Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/12/2000 23:23:22
On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 08:00:43PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Don't do that.

The copy works.  The ln -s doesn't.

> We find ourselves at something of an impasse:  We've already shot
> ourselves in the foot with /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  It should be in
> /etc/rc.local.d (what if there's something that we want up prior to
> our filesystems being mounted?  Not likely, but it _could_ happen...).

rcorder is currently run just once at boot time, and if the scripts
aren't available at this time, they don't get run.  A possibility is
scripts like:

#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: foo
# REQUIRE: mount

exec /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/me

so that the PROVIDE/REQUIRE info is available to rcorder, but the
script is still in pkg.

> What of those of us who have done away with /usr/pkg in favour of
> /usr/local (someone, please give me a sanity check and tell me that I'm
> not the only one who did this!)?

Nope, I've also done so.

--aidan