Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/12/2000 20:00:43
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

#
# >    > This is a lose.  Once the user installs a package, he shouldn't have
# >    > to copy stuff around to make it go.  I think this is going to be a serious
# >    > negative for our pkg system.
#
# 	Please don't try to start daemons automatically, some of pkgsrc needs
# 	careful configuration to be secure/work properly.

Agreed.

# >  3) copy/ln -s from /etc/rc.d to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d

Don't do that.

We find ourselves at something of an impasse:  We've already shot
ourselves in the foot with /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  It should be in
/etc/rc.local.d (what if there's something that we want up prior to
our filesystems being mounted?  Not likely, but it _could_ happen...).

But, as with all of us, that's an opinion based upon a strategy that
"makes sense".

What of those of us who have done away with /usr/pkg in favour of
/usr/local (someone, please give me a sanity check and tell me that I'm
not the only one who did this!)?  Maybe we'd like the option
(configuration, please, not a symlink) to put pkg/rc.d stuff directly into
$LOCAL_RC_DIR, and we'd still like to keep all the local/pkg stuff
separate from the system stuff.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: more is more.