Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/12/2000 23:13:44
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> c) Add support for /etc/rc.pkg.d, and ensure that that directory
>    is created during installation.
>    This is for packages. After a package installation a user should
>    copy the script from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ to /etc/rc.pkg.d
>    to enable the startup.
>
>    Some people have commented that we should use /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.
>    There are problems with this:
>
> 	* /usr may not be mounted by the time rcorder is run.

Which could be argued as a design flaw in rcorder.

> 	* That directory has already being used for scripts, and
> 	  they're not using the same conventions that the new
> 	  rc.d stuff uses (e.g, don't support `stop', will cause
> 	  problems because the `.sh' filename suffix means the
> 	  script is sourced into the current environment not a
> 	  child, thus potentially causing lossage, etc).

Which could be fixed - we'll have to touch all pkgs now anyways.

BTW, it would be nice to have one location to have all services available
at - sorta like /etc/init.d on some systems. This change moves away from
that.

 - Hubert

--
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"