Subject: Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/12/2000 23:09:02
On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 07:46:48PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > grep -l THISISMINE /etc/rc.d/*
>
> Besides being able to tell which are mine, I don't like new invented system
> files overwriting my local extensions with the same name by pure chance (or
> bad naming conventions).

That sounds like a good idea at first glance, but imagine a situation where
you want to stop/start/restart a subsystem. Now you'll have to first
remember if it's a system-delivered system, or a package, or a "local"
one, because you need to grab it from either /etc/rc.d, /etc/rc.pkg.d
or /etc/rc.local.d. And you don't want those in your $PATH either.

That's not a good thing. Though it may seem less elegant at first, putting
them all into /etc/rc.d is the best idea.

Or: you can create /etc/rc.local.d and /etc/rc.pkg.d and symlink them
from /etc/rc.d. In that case you can still easily see which ones
are "yours".

- Frank