Subject: Re: FreeBSD's "periodic" script.
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/07/2000 10:54:40
woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

> [ On Monday, March 6, 2000 at 23:02:38 (-0500), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
>
> > Personally, I really hate the {xxx}foo style of naming things,
> > because it makes stuff a pain to enable and disable. I'd prefer to
> > see a configuration file which says which scripts get run and in
> > what order.
>
> In this case all we're really talking about though is a basic framework
> to organise a set of procedures and manage their output.  If you add in
> a new configuration file to control their order you might as well just
> list them all individually in your crontab and be done with it....

Not quite.  With the separate crontab entries, you're liable to get
either:

1.  Multiple jobs running at the same time, or

2.  Big gaps in time between running jobs that may as well be run
    consecutively.

Odds are that you'll get both of the above in any given night.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu