Subject: Re: dl* functions on ELF platforms
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <AoiMoe@imou.to>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/03/2000 03:03:43
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:11:38 -0500 (EST)

> In order to catch problems as early as possible, I suggest _not_ adding dl*
> to the static libc.a.  dl* only works if ld.so is loaded (by the kernel, on
> ELF).

In fact, my last patch does not add dl* functions to static libc.a .
Instead, these functions still remain in crt0.o .  Thus, these
functions can be resolved even with static libc.

To keep binary compatibility and consistency reason between crt0 and
libc, we should not yet eject dl* functions from crt0.  Someday, when
we will change soname of libc, we will need to do it. And, just then
we will need to consider again whether providing libdl to solve the
problem pointed out by Kevin.

Anyway, I guess that it is better to apply my last patch at the
moment.  My first intention is not to solve such design problem, but
to only solve the unresolved symbols on dl* functions.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI - Chair of IMOU.
The I18n/M17n project On Unix environments (IMOU), Japan.