Subject: Re: Release goo for 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <jonathan@netbsd.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/08/2000 20:05:47
> I noticed one thing about FreeBSD 3.x that's really nice:
>
> Instead of cluttering up /etc/rc.conf with unmaintainable
> local changes, they keep the system-supplied defaults in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  /etc/rc.conf has only local changes and
> system-installer setup changes.

This seems to be not so nice.
I've seen that many clueless users just copied /etc/default/rc.conf
to /etc/rc.conf and modified it, and met troubles later.
(actually not only clueless users, but some clueful users did same
 thing and got same troubles.)

I think that userfriendly dedicated editor for rc.conf is a way to go
(and /etc/default/rc.conf is not way to go).
The editor might be used for other /etc/*.conf, not only for sysinst.
--
soda