Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: making passwd pluggable (sort of)
To: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/30/2000 13:41:07
On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 07:31:31PM +0100, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com> writes:
> > Instead, I'd like to attempt to make passwd more pluggable, by defining
> > an array of passwd-module structures.
>
> Have you thought about using an existing solution for this problem,
> like PAM?  And if you think that PAM is not a good solution, why not?

Because I don't want to open this can of worms?  I've got no objection
to going PAM wholesale, personally, but I seem to remember a massive
flamefest last time this came up, and I don't want to be the person to
make that decision.

What I've tried to make possible, though, is a PAM element in the
pw_modules list, which should allow us to maintain pretty good
backwards compatibility, should we ever add either PAM or some
login.conf related passwd changer.

--aidan