Subject: Re: netstat -i in /etc/daily
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Alexis Rosen <alexis@panix.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/24/2000 05:26:18
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 04:35:22PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net said:
> >So... What's my netmask? Worse, if this happens with an alias (so you can't
> >look at it with ifconfig), I'm not sure there's *any* way to find out without
> >writing code. (Well, any reasonable way, anyway.)
>
> 	for IPv6 we already have -v (avoid truncation, with unaligned columns).
> 	i think it okay to reuse it.

I don't run IPv6 yet so I have no real opinion on this but I suspect a lot
of poeple will dislike reusing a flag.

> 	we may be able to expand "Network" column to occupy 18 letters,
> 	instead of 13 letters, to avoid IPv4 address/prefix truncation.
> 	we need to remove some of stat items on the righthand side, to do this.

Again, doesn't bother me, but some people are likely going to be very
unhappy. Actually, maybe it does bother me- sometimes I need those numbers.

> >So here's what I suggest:
> >1) By default, combine network and address. This provides the most useful
> >info, as well as shortening the average line length.
> >2) For those who are concerned about the binary-impaired being able to
> >figure out their network/broadcast address, add another flag (-v?) which
> >adds a "Network Base" and "Broadcast Address" field, and gives up any pretense
> >of trying to fit everything on one line.
>
> 	aren't there scripts that relies upon 3rd and 4th column?
> 	(like use of $3 and $4 in awk)

Could be, but it's just broken to leave it that way. From the "do it right"
perspective I think it should be changed.

But alternatively, here's a revised suggestion: Leave everything the way it
is, since there are scripts depending on it, and add a new flag "-8" (as in
80 columns) with network display as I suggested earlier. Personally, I prefer
my original suggestion, but none of my scripts would break, so it's easy for
me to be a purist here. I do see the benefit in maintaining compatability.

/a

---
Alexis Rosen
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.
alexis@panix.com