Subject: Re: SIGPWR description translation
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/23/2000 14:33:11
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> On 22-Jan-00 Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Pronounced, "Power fail -- slash -- restart", it means something like
>
> I'm a bit confused here.. what does SIGPWR do in NetBSD?  under AIX a SIGPWR
> from my understanding means "I'm about to loose power, save your data and get
> out of the cpu"

Yeah, what else could it mean? I think it must be generated by UPS
monitor daemons, or conceivably apmd could use it for something. The
comment in sys/signal.h is just wrong. It appears to me that neither
"init" nor "shutdown" sends or responds to SIGPWR under any
circumstances, especially not in response to a restart. It would be
more accurate to change the English text to "power failure imminent",
which may also translate better.