Subject: Re: SIGPWR description translation
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/22/2000 09:51:41
On 22 Jan 2000, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz> writes:
>=20
> > Anyone speaks one of those languages ?
>=20
> Det skulle aldrig falla mig in. But seriously, what does the message
> `Power fail/restart' mean? Is it a power failure, and therefore
> something has to be restarted (what?), or a `power failure or a power
> restart'?

Pronounced, "Power fail -- slash -- restart", it means something like
"Power fail or restart", except that it also implies an equivalence
condition between the two. If it were to say "Power fail or restart",
a native English speaker might wonder what the difference is between a
"power fail" and a "restart", whereas using the "slash" form assures
him that there is no difference. Here, have another...

"Ever notice how in this country/church/mall we live in, there's
always somebody or some billboard trying to tell you what to do?"
--Colby (Amy Poehler) from "The Upright Citizens Brigade".

=20
> In the latter case I suggest `Kraftbortfall eller -omstart' for the
> Swedish translation (the `/' translated into `eller -'). If the former
> it would make more sense with `Omstart p=E5 grund av kraftbortfall'
> (restart due to power failure).

Not a clue.

Hope that helps.