Subject: Re: rc, rc.subr, rc.conf, nfs-mounted /usr [was: Re: CVS commit:
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/12/2000 22:53:19
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Rob Windsor wrote:

# Verily did Bill Studenmund write:
#
# > bcc'd to source changes, redirected to tech-userlevel
#
# >>> Speaking as someone who mounts /usr over NFS regularly.. I'm none too
# >>> happy about this change..
#
# >> To be blunt, you're the minority these days.  However, the change
# >> shouldn't break you without any way to easily recover.
#
# > I don't network mount /usr, but I don't hink we should be just zapping
# > current users. :-)
#
# Well, we didn't zap any current users, and my last change that triggered this
# thread actually fixed the standard install.  The nfs-mounted-/usr problems
# existed already and somewhat snuck in through the pet door.

Why not check to see what kind of fs /usr is?  If it's nfs, it gets
mounted earlier than it would were it ffs (or other local (!)).

# > Well, this is now on tech-userlevel, where it should be discussed. :-)
#
# > What do people think?
#
# Sure, tech-userlevel is fine with me.