Subject: Re: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca, sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/22/1999 04:08:49
> >   Do you mean that we do:
> >
> > #define stdin	(*__sFstdin)
> > #define stdout	(*__sFstdout)
> > #define stderr  (*__sfStderr)

> Right... that would be one way to do it.

Recent GNU libc (glibc2? I forgot exact version) does this.
And some programs which are doing
	static FILE *debug_output = stderr;		-- (A)
cannot be compiled any more with the glibc.

> > or does POSIX screw this possibility?
>
> can any of the standards experts quote chapter and verse?

At least, ANSI/ISO-C permits that stdin/stdout/stderr are
variable (not constant), thus, programs which are doing (A)
are not portable, from the ANSI/ISO-C point of view.

But personally, I do not like changes like this which breaks
20 years working programs.
--
soda