Subject: RE: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/19/1999 10:03:59
> library major numbers really do have to be bumped.  The hardest thing to
> do after getting all the old files squirrelled safely away where they
> can be used might be fooling GNU Autoconf generated "configure" scripts
> into only using the old library and headers.

The includes could be #ifdef __MULTITHREADING or something similar and the
linking against the compatible libs could be forced by using a new name for
the new version, leaving the old one as it is. This way we'll have to
add -lcmt switches to all our own programs when changing the to
multithreading, but third parties (and all our own stuff) could be left
alone as long as it doesn't need the locks.

The downside is: we'll need a special version of all our shared libs that
reference libc.

Martin