Subject: Re: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/18/1999 18:45:18
[ On Saturday, December 18, 1999 at 10:42:26 (-0800), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
> So, perhaps just use the generic mechanism:
> LDADD+=	-lc
> ..etc.
> Note that only encodes the dependency, i.e. the run-time linker will
> actually complain, rather than just having the program magically fail.

Is there no way to get this to fail at link time, instead of run-time?

My experience to date with dealing with run-time linker failures of this
type has been extremely unsatifying, and indeed extremely frustrating
(my worst nightmare has been libwrap's *_severity variables, though of
course that issue is not the same as a version dependency).

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>