Subject: Re: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/1999 14:49:20
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:
> Ahh yes, that's the reason we don't want to bump major versions.
>
> However, NetBSD ships with:
>
> 	XFree86
> 	system libraries/binaries
> 	pkgsrc (binary packages)
>
> Why can't we recompile them all?  We already do most of that, I
> believe.

For correctness, it's not just a matter of recompiling them.  it's a
matter of going through and bumping the major numbers.

> As for third-party libraries 1.4.1 -> 1.5, we're already screwed on
> i386 since we move to ELF there.
>
> So, if we are going to do this, it sounds like a damned good time to
> do it.

I suppose you could try to mask the incompatiblity with the change of
object format _IF_ you're done in time, but that still horribly screws
many other ports (the ones that have already switched, and the ones
that have not yet made the switch) unless you go through and bump the
major numbers of all of the libraries.

cgd