Subject: Re: Pthreads, libc, and the future
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/1999 09:28:18
On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

: Perhaps _REENTRANT libc locking could be coded to a run-time
: replaceable interface, and ports of various threading packages to run
: with the reentrant libc could supply a vector of
: lock/unlock/... operations.  Not the most efficient, but it doesn't
: prematurely commit us to one particular threading package..

There's always weak symbols, which we half support in a.out.  ;)

Seriously, though, I have a real need to see a
pthread_{set,get}specific() pair in libc, even as stubs for the
single-threaded case, so egcs/gcc295 and its libgcc can be built with
thread-ready C++ exception support.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)