Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/09/1999 11:06:32
On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 01:23:22PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis writes:
> > Just don't try to run Solaris 7/386 as a NFS server. I have witnessed that
> > it has very slow I/O. Don't know, how other systems would perform with the
> > same load (e.g., us or FreeBSD or BSDi or Linux; I don't count NT in there)...
>
> You've hit that bug too? Actually, I think it's Solaris 7/x86 with NFS

Not myself; the people running the student computer pool "downstairs".

The poor machine serves /home/stud to some dozen Solaris/{intel,sparc}
and NT machines, and to occasional neighbour departments where laboratory
courses on special hardware (e.g., NetBSD/arm32 :-) are done.

They'll switch to the new E450 machine next week.

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of