Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1999 08:36:18
> } BSD didn't do everything Right, and /etc/rc is a good example of that, I
> } think.  It has some good points, but it isn't perfect.
>      Even with its warts, I like it a heck of a lot more then the SysV way.

Do you have things that you specifically don't like about the SysV way,
or is it a nebulous, undefined dislike?  If this discussion is going to
get anywhere at all, we need to understand the issues--why don't you
like it?  What, specifically, do you like about the traditional way?
That it's traditional is a valid statement, but I don't think that
magically outweighs any other argument.  [For example, I rather like
indoor plumbing and it wasn't traditional when it came around... and
it has its warts--like causing MAJOR damage when it fails.  ;-]

Personally, I don't like runlevels (and I don't believe they are seriously
being considered here).  I don't like having the configuration information
spread around so much (which isn't a problem if we use rc.conf with the
startup scripts).  I don't like spawning a bunch of "extra" shells during
startup on my old, slow hardware (bfd--I only reboot often when I'm
working on kernel stuff and I can easily customize the startup on dev.
machines).

-allen