Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1999 03:30:16
On Dec 2, 10:57am, Jason Thorpe wrote:
} On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:47:39 -0700 (MST)
}  Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> wrote:
}
}  > I really do not want runlevels.  All I want are "services"  If I want the httpd
}  > service to start.. I want to just say "/etc/???/httpd start"  I've allways
}  > hated trying to guess my way through a bunch of meaningless numbers in solaris
}  > so I could arrive at some destination point.  If I want X running, it shouldn't
}  > matter what silly level I'm at.. it should start X.
}
} Okay....
}
} So, runlevels are useful in many circumstances... For example, I often boot
} devel machines into single-user mode but also want networking up.  Being
} able to boot into runlevel 1 (single-user + networking) would be useful
} to me.

     What does "networking up" mean?  Does it simply mean that the
interfaces are configured, or does it mean that the interfaces are
configured and various daemons started (if so, which daemons?)?  Even
with this simple example, you would still have to do a bunch of
customisations to get exactly what you want.  You'd be better off just
writing yourself a small script that you could run after you boot into
single user mode.

}-- End of excerpt from Jason Thorpe