Subject: Re: inode numbers, was filehandles
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1999 03:33:02
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

> To go with a larger file count, we need a different filesystem. AFAIK, the
> only filesystems which support 64-bit inode numbers are xfs and hfs+.

This only affects directory entries, and it would be very easy to
switch the behavior automatically based on total number of inodes in
the file system.  (Might cause some issues with fsresize, but that
seems to have sputtered out anyway.  B-))

Of course, a bunch of system calls would have to be versioned, and
we'd have to come up with a consistent, defined behavior for what
happens when you hit a `large' inode number with an old (or emulated)
system call...