Subject: Re: /etc/login.conf
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1999 09:44:47
> I propose (and volunteer) to work on /etc/login.conf, as it appears
> in BSDI and FreeBSD.

> The problem
> -----------

> There is currently, short of adding and duplicating shell code in
> /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc, no way of defining resource limits
> or environments for users.

...and even that way works only for shells that are sufficiently sh- or
csh-like to read /etc/profile or /etc/csh.cshrc. :-)

>      lang             string    Set $LANG environment variable.
>      manpath          path      Default search path for manpages.
>      path             path      Default search path.
>      setenv           list      A comma-separated list of env vars/vals.
>      timezone         string    Default value of $TZ environment variable.

Given setenv, why do lang, manpath, path, and timezone exist?  And how
do you put a comma in an environment variable?  (Or since this is
termcap-like, a colon, which is especially relevant for path and
manpath?)

>      term             string    Default terminal.

"Default" terminal?  When would this be used instead of the /etc/ttys
specification for the line?  Or does this also define some magic value
for /etc/ttys' terminal-type field that means "use the term value for
the user class, if there is one"?

>      expireperiod      time     Time for expiry allocation.
>      graceexpire       time     Grace days for expired account.
>      gracetime         time     Additional grace login time allowed.

expireperiod and gracetime: what units?  graceexpire: why days?  I can
easily imagine circumstances where a day is too coarse a unit.

> If /etc/login.conf exists, and no classes are specified in
> /etc/passwd,

I don't think /etc/passwd has the class field, so this means that class
info is available only to processes with privilege to read
master.passwd.  Is this the Right Thing?  I'm not convinced.

>   Actions necessary
>
>   Flame me to a crisp.

:-)

					der Mouse