Subject: Re: On the proposal to augment NetBSD startup (/etc/rc*/*/*...)
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/1999 18:07:18
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> > > One thing the init.d method doesn't fix, however, is the problem of
> > > options.  Or is there a /etc/config.d associated with these things?
> >
> > What doesn't rc.conf provide in this case? I.e, rc.conf provides this!
>
> FYI I've looked at three different Linux systems today (SuSE, RedHat,
> Debian), and they seem to store per-service config info in different
> places. ....
>
>  - /etc/config/service contains all the info for one service

Actually, this is /etc/sysconfig on my RH 6.0 system.

But a lot of the stuff in /etc/sysconfig is, I think, in separate
files due to verbosity reasons. For example, /etc/sysconfig/sendmail is

    DAEMON=yes
    QUEUE=1h

wheras we just set a single variable to `-bd -q1h'. I don't really
see a lot of advantage to moving to this more verbose configuration.

If we do, I'd still really appreciate the ability to keep on/off
switches and a command line options variable in a single central
file somewhere.

Also, note that we already do support a /etc/config directory with
rc.conf options spread out amongst multiple files, and have since
the beginning, since I explicitly designed that in to the system
when I wrote it. You just have to add this line to /etc/rc.conf:

    . /etc/config/*

The feature also supports groups of systems that share a common
/etc/rc.conf but have to override just a few things in it: just
add this to the end of rc.conf:

    . /etc/rc.conf.local

I'm sure you get the idea.

cjs