Subject: Re: On the proposal to augment NetBSD startup (/etc/rc*/*/*...) system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/1999 21:47:57
Michael Graff wrote:

> 	o /etc/rc drives the startup using /etc/init.d/foo scripts.

Something based on this would seem to be a win, IMHO.  I think I'm
still firmly in the BSD camp but I can see some benefits of the SysV
way.  Maybe we need to say that the new way is the preferred way,
but for folks who really want /etc/rc style, set "use_old_rc=YES"
in /etc/rc.conf and the top of whatever it is that starts multiuser
initialisation checks that variable and then execs "sh /etc/rc" if
set.  Then /etc/rc could be as ``simple'' as:

	# $NetBSD$

	/etc/init.d/ccd
	/etc/init.d/raidframe
	/etc/init.d/swaplocal