Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/1999 07:10:29
In article <m11uVOo-000g6HC@most.weird.com>,
Greg A. Woods <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org> wrote:

>And I forgot completely (probably because of a mind block) of IRIX!  ;-)
>
>(Actually of all the "big squishy mess of every feature ever thought of"
>systems, AIX-3.2.x (and eventually 4.x) were the best of the bunch.
>From a software developer's point of view -- at least at the research
>and design phase -- AIX provided a really well integrated set of OS
>features.  You could port almost anything to AIX with very little
>effort, spending most of your time trying to convince the build that it
>really didn't have to pick and choose amongst potentially sparse corner
>cases, but instead could trustingly use every feature simultaneously.
>Of course trying to port code designed for AIX to anything else was a
>monumental nightmare!)

Oh, yeah? Every new AIX version needs tweaks to get the job control
code working in tcsh. I have no idea why. Seem to be changing the
process group stuff. Or to build you need to #define _BSD_INCLUDES
or -lbsd or, or, or...
And the beauty of using an *environment* variable to choose between
overcommiting and not overcommitting malloc.

christos