Subject: Re: On the proposal to augment NetBSD startup (/etc/rc*/*/*...) system
To: Lou Glassy <glassy@caesar.cs.montana.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/1999 00:17:02
Lou Glassy writes:
> [5] Random idea: (my i'm on a roll.)  I use SysV-ish systems and
>     NetBSD at work, every day.  The start/stop thing in
>     /etc/init.d/foo start [etc] is nice, but the simplicity of
>     the BSDish rc.conf setup that NetBSD is even nicer.

The simplest form of my code supports the `start/stop' thing as well
as honouring `the BSDish rc.conf setup'.

I.e, if you do `/etc/init.d/foo start' and the relevant variable in
/etc/rc.conf (e.g, `foo') isn't set, it won't start. You can, however,
do `/etc/init.d/foo forcestart' to fake `foo=YES' in /etc/rc.conf.