Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/04/1999 03:51:21
[ On Friday, December 3, 1999 at 23:29:12 (-0800), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
>
> I keep seeing hintings at an /etc/inittab.  Please don't make the mistake
> that SysV made and convolute the getty process (ttymon is a pain in the
> ass to maintain and configure).

Uhm, /etc/inittab's capabilities have nothing whatsoever to do with
ttymon.

There are good reasons for having a much more sophisticated port monitor
and session manager than getty is now, but /etc/inittab works just fine
for plain old getty too!  ;-)

> Perhaps, if we MUST do /etc/inittab, we can have an /etc/gettyd to handle
> the task of what init is doing now.

No, no, if you're going to keep plain old getty then you can run it just
fine directly from /etc/inittab.  That's not an issue and no reason to
try and duplicate this capability elsewhere.

--
							Greg A. Woods