Subject: re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/04/1999 10:03:55
       Jason> networking up.  Being able to boot into runlevel 1 (single-user +
       Jason> networking) would be useful to me.

     Uh, on a SysV machine, "single-user" is runlevel 1, and no, networking
   is not enabled.
     There is no way, for instance, to boot a Linux box into a single user shell
   that doesn't try to mount the root RW. Screw up your /etc/fstab on a linux
   box and you get out the CD.

here's a classic case of why runlevels are a bad idea.

jason and michael expect different things from them.  i think
of runlevel "S" being single user, on sysv-alikes.  but i don't
expect it... ever new sysv i see, i check exactly what runlevels
do what, because you can't know.  on some i know that "runlevel 2"
is what jason expects "runlevel 1" to be.  we should just not go
here at all.

i believe solaris is similar to linux in the above respect...