Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <>
From: Wilfredo Sanchez <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/03/1999 12:53:32
| Yeah, I was thinking about this after I sent the last email, you
| could have a -j flag equivalent, which would be especially useful
| on SMP machines in the future.

  You'll get a big win on UP as well.  There often are phases in the
startup that are temporarily disk-bound (clean up /tmp) or network
bound (start sendmail), or CPU bound.  If you can launch a few of
these in parallell, you'll get much better resource usage and faster
boot times.

       Wilfredo Sanchez,
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD
          Technical Lead, Darwin Project
   1 Infinite Loop, 302-4K, Cupertino, CA 95014