Subject: Re: take2...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/03/1999 14:32:21
[ On Friday, December 3, 1999 at 13:02:06 (+0000), Patrick Welche wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: take2...
>
> wonder why it is so useful for a script to tell me that dhcpd.conf is missing
> rather than dhcpd itself...

If the startup script itself checks for the presense of a well known
configuration file before starting the daemon that uses it then I would
say that it's the script's responsibility to report when the
configuration file is missing.  This is especially important, I think,
if the script actually tells the daemon which configuration file to use
(eg. by command-line argument).

In addition there's the issue of actually being able to see the errors
both interactively on the console and in the logs.  If you can't trust
the daemon to do the right kind of error reporting then it's better to
have the startup script do it (and risk getting some duplicaiton of
information) than to not see anything at all.

--
							Greg A. Woods