Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/03/1999 12:05:27
| So, runlevels are useful in many circumstances... For example, I
often boot
| devel machines into single-user mode but also want networking up.
Being
| able to boot into runlevel 1 (single-user + networking) would be useful
| to me.

  So why not have a script "network" and say /etc/blah/network start
when in single user mode?

  Runlevels are fairly goofy.  I want the network up, not "runlevel
1", whatever that means.

  In my scheme (this part's not implemented yet), you'd say
something like "SystemStarter start network", since SystemStarter
will know about dependancies.  Oh you want the network, well I'd
better kick the driver loader, or whatever.  If I instead want to
start httpd from single user, then it will bring up the network,
start the resolver, etc, then httpd.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD