Subject: Re: take2...
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/03/1999 11:46:22
Hubert Feyrer writes:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> > You'd have to give me a really good reason for arguing for the
> > larger/messier version which doesn't use run_rc_command,
> > especially since the run_rc_command version is easier to read/debug.
>
> Portability.
> Vendors/3rd party package creators won't ship with anything
> even similar to the first version.

But they don't have to use run_rc_command! A `traditional' sysv
script which supports start/stop will work. (Again, assuming that
we're using /etc/rc.sh to start the scripts in /etc/init.d/*).
I've pointed this out MULTIPLE times.

run_rc_command is to make *OUR* scripts simplier/easier. If other
people want to use it (e.g, pkgsrc patches to pkgs) then they're
free to do so.