Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 23:15:54
[ On Friday, December 3, 1999 at 07:35:44 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
>
> Just FYI: there was a speed issue in booting; my SS10/50 took about
> twice the time to boot by running "/etc/init.d/* start" than running
> the generated rc. I can't recall if the former was using the
> `faststart' hack at the time. Further investigation should be be done.

Indeed!  That kind of performance difference would indicate, at least to
me, that there's some kind of implementation issue, not a design issue.
Perhaps there's too much sourcing of subroutine scripts going on, or too
much verbiage trying to figure out what all the magic means, or
something similar.

--
							Greg A. Woods