Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 23:15:54
[ On Friday, December 3, 1999 at 07:35:44 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
> Just FYI: there was a speed issue in booting; my SS10/50 took about
> twice the time to boot by running "/etc/init.d/* start" than running
> the generated rc. I can't recall if the former was using the
> `faststart' hack at the time. Further investigation should be be done.

Indeed!  That kind of performance difference would indicate, at least to
me, that there's some kind of implementation issue, not a design issue.
Perhaps there's too much sourcing of subroutine scripts going on, or too
much verbiage trying to figure out what all the magic means, or
something similar.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>