Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 10:01:25
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:54:12 -0500 (EST)
 der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

 > >> f)	Full SYSV style run levels.
 > > IMHO, this is the best solution.
 >
 > And IMO, it's one of the worst.
 >
 > We're BSD, dammit.  If you want to go start NetSysV and do this, I'll
 > fully support your project.

Unfortunately, I don't think "We're BSD, dammit" is a compelling argument.

BSD didn't do everything Right, and /etc/rc is a good example of that, I
think.  It has some good points, but it isn't perfect.

Now, the SYSV way, while better in many respects, isn't perfect either.
However, it *IS* a fairly standardized way of doing things (SVR4 uses it,
as does Linux), and I think adopting a standardized way is going to be
more beneficial to us in the long run than designing a Perfect scheme.